Old Chestnut! Gearbox oil.

(1/3) > >>

parrish:
Getting ready for 3ma09:
OK im going to change the oil in the gearbox, now the old stuff comming out is the sticky grapefruit smelling 80W/90EP, however as we all know the manual says 15W/40.
The car is in Spain and likely to be subject to average tempereatures higher than those in the UK.
So what do i replace the oil with? and why.
Steve

Thotos:
NO! Never use an EP gear oil in a Fiat 131 gearbox. The EP (Extreme Pressure) additives can ruin a Fiat 131 gearbox because they will damage the brass in the bearings of the gearbox. The correct oil to use is Tutella ZC-90 or any GL3 specification gear oil. Do not use GL4 or GL5 specification oils as they are all EP oils.

Now a 90 grade gear oil has the same viscosity as a 30 grade engine oil so if you cannot get the Tutella ZC90 oil (available from most Fiat dealers) then use a straight 30 engine oil (available from most motor factors). In fact you can use multigrade engine oil in the gearbox but I wouldn't go for a modern and thin 5W/40 (or worse 0W/40) but go instead, as you rightly said, for a 15W/40 or a 20W/50.

mirafioriman:
I think mine has Castrol GTX in it at the moment. Not sure if this is right but the box seems to perform OK!

Tas131:
Quote from: Thotos on February 03, 2009, 04:26:56 PM

NO! Never use an EP gear oil in a Fiat 131 gearbox. The EP (Extreme Pressure) additives can ruin a Fiat 131 gearbox because they will damage the brass in the bearings of the gearbox.

I thought this was only an issue with the 124 gearbox. I'd better go and change my oil, I've got an EP gear oil in it!

djape1977:
what 're yo talkin about? i'm running 80w/90 in my 132 for 10 yrs, same in lada with 131/132 gearbox for 2 yrs now. no problems whatsoever...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page